I was tooling around the supermarket the other day when I came across a package of wonton skins and my imagination started running amuck. I decided to do a riff on a sophisticated little baked clam spread appetizer that used to appear at frat parties during my college days. Why something so elegant was served at a frat house party while all the guests were dodging flying beer bottles is beyond me, but those little clam noshes were pretty awesome. So in true homegating fashion, I deconstructed it, turned it into a wonton and renamed it the: Clammy Jammy! Now it's gameday worthy!
These little bundles of seafood goodness contain cream cheese, canned minced clams, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, hot sauce and a little clam juice. They're wrapped in the wonton skins and deep fried for mere seconds. Because they fry up within seconds, they absorb hardly any oil.
8oz package of cream cheese (softened)
8oz can minced clams, drained (save the juice)
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp hot sauce
1 package wonton skins
canola or vegetable oil for frying
1. Soften cream cheese and add the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. If the cheese is still too thick, you can loosen it with a little clam juice. Add a teaspoon at a time until the cheese is smooth, but not loose.
2. Refrigerate cheese for 1 hour to let the flavors develop and to thicken up the cheese again.
3. After one hour, take a wonton skin and place 1 teaspoon of the cheese mixture in the center of the wonton.
4. Wet all 4 edges of the wonton skin with the reserved clam juice and fold the wonton skin over the clam filling, forming a triangle. Press the edges together to seal.
5. When all the wontons are filled, place them on a sheet pan and put in the refrigerator.
6. Heat oil in a deep saucepan (or use a deep fryer if you have one) to 375-degrees.
7. Begin frying the wontons. These will brown in literally seconds, so you need pay close attention.
8. Drain on paper towels and plate.
9. Get ready for rave reviews.
And there you have it! Another gameday munchy that's relatively easy to prepare and will be a hit with the gang.
I'll see you back here next Wednesday. Until then, enjoy your games!