You know that I always say to prepare ahead so that you're not rushing around at the last-minute. Well last week I didn't take my own advice and wound up behind the 8-ball on gameday. But it luckily turned to my advantage and I came up with: Deconstructed Cheeseburgers & Fries.
I usually prepare most of my gameday grub the day before and just heat it up when the gang comes over. For last week's get-together, I planned on making cheeseburgers & fries, along with a few other goodies. I had shopped and prepped the day before. All I had left to do on Sunday was to shape the burger patties and throw them on the grill. By the time I was heating the fries and getting ready to shape the burgers, I realized I had forgotten the burger buns. What to do? Think fast! I took the concept of burgers & fries and did a mash-up as a nacho-esque topping and poured it over the fries. I was taking a chance, but it turned into success. The gang loved it and I saved myself from having to slave over the hot grill. It was a win-win.
Deconstructed Cheeseburgers & Fries
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 large onion, minced
1 1/2 lbs crinkled fries
1/2 lb Velveeta, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup milk
1 whole large dill pickle, minced
crumbled bacon (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
1. Prepare the fries according to the package directions and hold to the side. Keep the oven on.
2. Sautee the onions until translucent. Add the ground beef and brown. Hold.
3. Heat the milk and add the Velveeta. Heat through until the cheese is melted and creamy.
4. Add the burger meat to the cheese and mix throughly.
5. Place the fries in a baking platter. Spoon the mixture over the fries, return to the oven and heat through (about 7 minutes).
6. Remove from the oven and drizzle ketchup over. Sprinkle the minced pickles on top.
7. Serve and get ready for raves.
And there you have it!
Hope you're enjoying the football season so far. It's been quite an interesting start for some teams, but not to worry. Lots of football left. And don't get me started about fantasy football yet!
Until next weekend, enjoy the games tomorrow and keep on homegating!!