Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Spicy Chicken Puffs!!
I was brainstorming on what to make for the gang last weekend, so I decided to rummage through my freezer for inspiration. I came across a box of puff pastry and the ideas started to flow. Puff pastry is very versatile for both sweet and savory dishes. For this recipe I went savory: Spicy Chicken Puffs. These little snacks are packed with flavor. They're a great finger food and as you know, finger foods are perfect for gameday. They were a hit with the gang. As a matter of fact, I'll have to double the recipe next time because they went in no time and people were looking for move. That's a good sign!
Spicy Chicken Puffs are relatively easy to prepare and serve. Place the chicken breasts (or thighs) in the slow cooker and cover with hot sauce. Cook on slow for 2-3 hours until the meat can be shredded with a fork. While the chicken is cooking, take the puff pastry out of the freezer and follow the instructions on the box for same-day defrosting (or you can defrost it in the fridge the night before). Let the chicken cool and then shred it. While the chicken is cooling, saute some chopped onions and garlic and fold into the shredded chicken. Take a sheet of parchment paper and sprinkle a little flour on it. Unroll the puff pastry onto the parchment and cut in half. Sprinkle a layer of shredded jack cheese down the middle of each half and then place the chicken mixture on top of the cheese.
Roll the dough over the filling and pinch the edge of the dough to make sure the seam is sealed. Slice into bite-size nuggets and cut a tiny hole on the top of each one.
Brush each nugget with a little egg wash, place on a baking sheet and bake at 425-degrees for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden. You can make these ahead of time and freeze them. That way they're ready at any time. All you have to do is reheat them in the oven when the gang comes over.
Spicy Chicken Puffs
2 lbs chicken breast or thighs
32 oz bottle of your favorite hot sauce
1/2 medium white onion, minced
1 small clove of garlic, minced
8 oz package shredded jack cheese
(or any melting cheese)
2 sheets of puff pastry
1. Place the chicken in a slow cooker and slightly cover with the hot sauce. Turn slow cooker on low and let cook 2-3 hours - or until chicken can be shredded with a fork.
2. Place the frozen puff pastry in the fridge and let defrost overnight. If preparing the same day, read the instructions on the box for same-day defrosting.
3. Sautee the minced onion and garlic until translucent. Fold into the shredded chicken.
4. Roll out the puff pastry onto a sheet of lightly floured parchment paper and cut in half lengthwise.
5. Sprinkle a layer of jack cheese down the middle of the dough.
6. Sprinkle a layer of the chicken mixture on top of the cheese.
7. Roll the dough over the filling and pinch the edges to seal the seams.
8. Cut into 2" nuggets and with the tip of a sharp knife, pop a little slit on top of each one.
9. Bake in a 425-degree pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden.
And there you have it! Easy little snacks for the gang to pop in their mouths and enjoy! Hope you try this. Let me know how you like it!
I'll see you back here next week for some more gameday inspiration!