Finger foods are really popular when homegating. They're easy to prepare, easy to plate and easy to grab and pop in the mouth. They can act as appetizers to the main dish that you might bring out at halftime or between periods. Mushroom caps are perfect finger food because they act as vehicles for a variety of fillings.
This time out, I decided to go with a ground turkey filling because around this time of year, turkey is in abundance and it's on the light side. If you want, you can make the filling ahead of time. Once the gang comes over, you can stuff the 'shrooms and pop them in the oven because they don't take long to cook.
1 package whole white button mushrooms (stems removed and minced)
1/4 lb ground turkey
1/2 medium red onion, minced
1 medium clove of garlic, minced
1/8 tsp dried ground sage
1/2 cup dry vermouth
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheeese
2 oz monterey jack cheese cut into tiny cubes
salt & pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 350-degrees. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and mince.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a heated skillet on medium heat and add the onions, garlic, sage and minced mushroom stems. The mushrooms will release some liquid. Add the vermouth and continue to sautee untl the liquid almost completely evaporates.
3. Add the ground turkey to the skillet and cook through (about 10 minutes).
4. Add the bread crumbs, grated parmesan and broth. The stuffing by now should be mixed thoroughly and moist.
5. Place the mushroon caps in a shallow roasting pan. Spoon the stuffing mixture into the cap. You can fill each mushroom as much as it will take.
6. Pour some chicken broth (about a 1/2 cup) into the bottom of the roasting pan and place in the oven. Cover the pan with foil. Roast for 15 minutes, remove the foil and then continue roasting for another 15 minutes.
7. Remove the stuffed 'shrooms from the oven and place a tiny cube of the jack cheese on top of each one. Return to the oven until the cheese melts.
8. Remove from oven, place on a serving platter and unleash on your guests.
And there you have it! Easy peasy! Enjoy!
See you back here in next week with some more homegating inspirations!